7.22.2012

I always get a good laugh around 6:25 in the morning as our four fifteen passenger vans truck out of the forge apartment and set out towards north Tyler. It's a sight to see really, packing us all in there like sardines. But then again, there is this serious tug on my heart that finds such beauty in those moments.

I wake up, and it's a new day dawning. I lift my head out of the pillow and I know it's time. One song comes to mind, bless the Lord O my soul. It's time to sing His song again. I fumble down from my top bunk bed as gracefully as possible, and sleepily walk over to my suitcase. I grab some clothes in the darkness of my room and hope that they match to some extent. I look outside and the darkness encompasses our apartment. I know the sun is on it's way up. I grab a granola bar off the top of my drawer and head to the kitchen to fill up my water bottle. I look around our living room as I turn on the faucet and see some of my coworkers already talking to the Lord about today. Excitement fills my heart as I am encouraged by the example set before me. I grab my backpack and head out the door.

We all stand out there together in front of our vans, still a little groggy from our early morning rise. At 6:15 sharp we all physically put our hand on a van. This is it, it's all starting. My heart continues to sing, Bless the Lord O my soul. We begin to load up as the usual apple cinnamon granola bars and breakfast burritos are making their way around the vans. As the vans begin to pull out, I feel this sense of community. I feel apart of something vast. I feel like we are an army heading out to conquer the great enemy. I glimpse back as we head down the hill and I see the other three vans behind us, full of my brothers and sisters, all heading towards the same goal. It's a moment of appreciation really, of something that I probably wouldn't see if I didn't stop and look around me. It's something I would miss if I wasn't careful.

I being to think about the day ahead of me, of the battle I'm going to have to fight against my flesh. I feel discouraged because of my sin and my struggle towards holiness. I begin to form a goal in my mind for the day. Let me be singing when the evening comes, Bless the Lord O my soul. As I watch the sun rise over the city, I begin to hope that as I watch the sun set that evening, the song on my lips will still be Bless the Lord O my soul. I am becoming more aware of my brokenness, and my challenge for the day seems to be less attainable on my own strength. But I hear a whisper in my ear. I ignore it at first, not really believing it's there. But softly the voice speaks again, do not be afraid. I am reminded of the Lord's faithfulness as we approach our destination. The vans pull to a stop and I take a deep breath in. I say it one more time in my head for reminder, Bless the Lord O my soul. I step out of the van onto the concrete and I'm finally there. It's go time. Let the battle begin.

No comments: