10.26.2010

It's 6:15 a.m. and the sound of my ringing alarm clock has already brought me back into reality. I sit and question my yesterday self, and wonder why I thought I would get myself up at 6:15 when I don't have to be at school till 8:45. Oh yeah, homework. I hit the off button telling myself that I just need a few more minutes. I'll wake up by 6:30, I promise. I open my eyes again to find that it is now 7. Ok we'll just forget homework for right now, I'll do it later. 45 minutes later I am still in my bed with one eye open trying not to fall back asleep. I finally pull myself out of bed and determine whether I have enough energy to try to look cute that day or not. After getting myself to look like a human, I run downstairs, pour myself a glass of orange juice and grab a bagel. It is now 8:23. I hop in the car, only to find myself wading through MMS traffic and kids on bicycles.

Life for me has become routine. I'm into that part of the year where I've got everything down to a schedule. My days are essentially the same. And I'm ok with that, I like to be comfortable. I know what everyday will look like, and what activities I have on every day. My weeks have even become routine, Monday:players, Tuesday: tutor, Wednesday: impact, etc. My life is predictable, which I'm fine with. I operate well under a schedule. But I've become so robotic about things that the Lord has slid to the side. There's not a paper on Him due tomorrow, or a test over the Bible Thursday so I haven't made Him a priority.

Time has gotten away from me. Monday has turned into Tuesday which turns into Friday which turns into Monday. I'm so focused on what is literally right in front of my that I haven't cared about the Lord. I haven't really talked with Him in a while. I'm going with the plan of trying to work Him into my schedule, as if mine was more important. But the reality is that I need to work my life around His. I so often get the wrong, and I treat the Lord just like I do my homework, something to be checked off a list.

I'm learning how to be humble, and to realize that I need the Lord everyday. I think my problem lately has been that I've been stuck in this OK phase. Nothing extremely bad has happened while nothing extremely good has either. So I buy into this lie that I don't need the Lord.

But our God is not a pocket God. We can't just pull Him out when we want Him to do something. He wants a daily and personal relationship with us. This is a lesson I need to understand, and to put into practice.

My life is not ordinary. I have been saved by undeserved grace. Christ has set me free. I so often forget this. I forget who my God is and without Him my life becomes routine.

I need to remember, I so badly need to remember.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after that." Deuteronomy 4:9