4.12.2011

Comfort

This beautiful girl to the left is Diana. And I have absolutely fallen in love with her. I think some people look at her and see her disabilities and the obstacles she has to deal with. But for me, I just see perfection and God's masterpiece.

Every time I see Diana I'm always reminded of the idea of comfort for those who follow Christ. At Spark(our disciple now weekend) the speaker said "It's really great to live in America because we have everything we need. It's also bad to live in America because we have everything we need." It's so easy for me to get scared and stay in my comfort zone. I remember at Passion a few weeks ago just sitting in one of the worship sessions begging the Lord that I would go out and proclaim His name with fear and awe. That I wouldn't slip back into an easy life.

But I get nervous and I look around and think about going to school, and being in newspaper and math class, and all that biology homework I have to do. And suddenly I lose that ferver. I let the Lord fade back into a God that fits in better with my schedule. Because Jesus is sometimes scary. What I mean is that, following Jesus is scary. Getting yourself to the point in your life when you can say "To live is Christ, and to die is gain" is not an easy road.

Over the weekend, I watched a documentary called Beware of Christians that they had given us at Passion. Essentially, it is these four college guys who are Christians and they set out and backpack through Europe and ask people about what it means to be a Christian in hopes of finding out how Jesus "fits into American Christianity."

Well one of the guys was introducing himself and he said "Hi I'm Adam(or whatever his name was) and I'm a Christian, I'm just not sure I'm following Christ."

This is a scary statement. At least, it put fear into me. As Americans, it's easy to ignore the world around us. It's easy to live in our bubble, and only take care of ourselves. We're comfortable.

A wise friend once told me that kids with special needs are not here for us to teach them, but for them to teach us. And that's how it is with Diana. We're the ones with disabilities, not Diana. And the same is true for us followers of Christ who live in "comfort". We're the ones with the real disabilities. Christ does not call us to comfort.

I know for me, that means fighting daily the urge to serve a God whose comfortable to me.

No comments: