5.13.2011

I am not a scientist. I don't necessarily enjoy science. I don't plan on doing anything with my life that involves a massive amount of science. So why in the world did I decided to take AP Bio? I don't know.

But I am as of today, officially done with AP Biology, and therefore done with science forever.

Although my inclination towards biology and all things science is anything but large, I actually ended up enjoying the class. There you go Mrs. Strait, I said it.

I got the joy of spending my senior year with a textbook called Biology. How creative. It was 1,000 pages of information upon information. One thing I learned in biology is that you will never know everything about biology. The subject's infinite. The amount of stuff that people know about it could fill up book after book and the amount of things yet to be discovered is limitless.

Through seeing how the nerve cell is structured in just the right was so that impulses can reach our brain the fastest, how negative feedback allows for a reaction to be suppressed if the product becomes overwhelming, how hormones are regulated in our body , I saw glimpses of God's perfection. Everything we learned about seemed to just scream out God's name. Everything pointed to the Lord. Why in the world do the enzymes in our body work perfectly at the temperature our body is normally functions? What triggers cells to undergo mitosis? My teacher would say "look at this! and how structure fits its function" all the time. It was one of those "AP themes" on which they like to test us.

I remember one time my teacher was lecturing about the nervous system and at one point all she could say was "wow" over and over again. All I could think was God over and over again.

Creation is crying out to the Lord. That's what I got out of biology this year. That our God is perfect, and that if we keep silent, the rocks really will cry out.

1 comment:

cal+claire said...

So what's next on your plate?